4/03/2016

Cradle to Grave



To fund for my ridiculous coffee habits, as a university student I worked in the retail industry for a few years. In doing so, it made me realize how senseless and materialistic consumers are - hence, why I switched over to the food industry (you can argue that this industry is up there on the waste scale as well).

Clothing is a physiological need under Maslow's Hierarchy of needs BUT the fashion industry has a lot of work to do. In hindsight, it made me realize that I don't necessarily need to purchase new clothing every season - hence why I have not shopped for 2 years. 

Like most consumers, after they have outworn their clothes, it goes straight to the grave i.e from production to the landfill. Since when did we make this a norm, and how can we revert our consumerist behavior before it gets out of hand?

Point is, we are ALL walking hypocrites - I mean look at me

I definitely recommend this read as it has broadened my knowledge on consumer goods!

Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
by William McDonough, Michael Braungart